Friday, July 22, 2011

Staples the Conehead - AKA - Bryer

Well, our Bryer adventures continue.  There is never a dull moment around that big guy.

(This one is a bit lengthy too - there is just a lot to say about our wild man!)

Way back in our Minnesota days, Craig and I notice that there is this odd little spot on Bryer's foot.  It was small and white and he really had no idea it was there.  You know me though, crazy, I start worrying about it.  We don't do anything about it and just keep watching it since it doesn't seem to bother him.

Well, it grew, and recently it started to get rather large and turn red.  We finally decide it would be a good idea to get him to a vet.  I call and set up an appointment for this past Wednesday (two days ago).  I warn them ahead of time that he is crazy, and they said "Bring it on, we love the energetic ones!"  I think to myself "You haven't met Bryer, yet!"

I take Bryer into the vet Wednesday morning while Craig is at work.  We are just scheduled for a check-up and to get that spot looked at.  We get set up in our little room and he his panting/drooling/shedding like crazy!  The nurse comes in to talk to me and get a little info on my son.  He loves her and is soo excited to see her.  She says "Wow!  We usually don't get dogs that are happy to see us!"  Then she leaves and the Doc comes in!  I absolutely love him!  He sat down and petted Bryer and talked to me just like we were old friends before we got down to business.  While we were talking he told me that he finished his vet schooling at VT.  WHAT?????  This can't be good.  He tells me that Bry-man is getting offered too much dog food a day and he needs to go on a diet.  He was cut back from 5 cups of food a day to 3.5 (he clocked in at 75.7lbs!)  Then he looks at Bryer's foot.  He starts poking it with a needle and pulling stuff out of it - poor guy :(  I felt so bad for him!  Good news is that it was "a whole lot of nothing".  The Doc felt like it should be removed before it ruptured on its own and got infected.  We went ahead with the procedure and had it lazored off.  He ended up with 2 staples and the doc wrapped it with vet wrap.  He came back in to talk to us and I said "So, when he starts messing with it what do I do?"  The good 'ole VT Doc said "He won't mess with it."  I laughed.  I'm sure if he graduated from UVa he would have had a cone day 1 so the stitches would last all 10 days - just a guess though?  (I had to throw that in there)  :o)

Here is what it looked like on Wednesday:


The wrap was supposed to last one day - it did not.  The stitches were supposed to last 10 days - they did not.  The two stitches made it until Thursday night.  Craig and I decide to go to the grocery store and when we return, I do my staple count, and have a heart-attack because both staples are MIA.  I start super freaking out because all I can think about is now his intestines are going to be ruptured because he has two staples in his belly and that his crater is going to get infected and it's going to cost us $1,209,382 to fix it all.  I call the emergency vet because it was after hours, and I ask them what to do.  They said it cost $100 just to bring him in to get looked at and then depending on what kind of anesthesia he would need for the staples it would cost another $30-100.  WHAT??  So we put neosporin on a paper towel, place it on his crater and wrap it with tape until the morning.

This morning, we are just going to run him by his new vet and see if they will check the hole and replace the staples.  (Also, this morning I found both staples laying in the floor - THANK YOU LORD!)  When we get to the vet, we just decide to leave him there for the morning instead of having staples put in, then throwing him in his crate right away while Craig and I are out looking at houses.  That would just be yet another opportunity to rip out those staples and I was not doing that again!  

We go and pick him up this afternoon and this is what comes bopping around the corner:


Craig and I died laughing.  He could have cared less that he had that thing on his head!  It was hysterical!  

This go around - he has 4 staples in his foot.  Sweet - double the chance of poking a hole in his intestines.

With Bryer at the vet, I had the most productive morning I have had in such a long time!  I love that boy but let me tell you - I so enjoyed my morning!  We got his foot taken care of, and a cone and it was only $20 bucks!  I love our new vet - even if he did graduate from VT!

"Shew Mom, I've had a tough day!"



No comments:

Post a Comment